Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gina K November Release Hop Day 3

Hello! It's the third day of our Inspiration Hops for the Gina K Designs November Release. Today we are featuring two stamp sets, Perfect Plaids by Tami Mayberry and Snowone Like You, the new Free With Three stamp set from Gina K. I used both new sets on my card! I'll show you the step by step photos below to see how I created that plaid designer paper and how I colored the snowman.

Here is another card with Snowone Like You. I showed this card at the release party, but hadn't gotten around to sharing it here on the blog yet.  I used both of the cute snowman images on this card. I used a toothpick, colored with a Copic marker as a stick for the "Joy" sign. Sorry, I made this card on a must stamp fast day, so didn't get step by step photos for this one.

Before I get to the tutorial, be sure to check out what the rest of the designers have created today…
And as you hop through their blogs, make sure to leave a comment on each of them because we will choose a few random comments and those stampers will each win a grab bag of Gina K. Designs products! To see the full list of winners check the Big News forum at Stamp TV a few days after the hops.

Gina K
Tami Mayberry – Illustrator Perfect Plaids
AJ Otto
Becky Oehlers
Beth Silaika
Carolina Buchting
Carolyn King
Cathy Tidwell
Deb Felts
Emily Giovanni
Giovana Smith
Jimmi Mayo
Lee Murphy
Lori McAree
Melanie Muenchinger
Michelle Woerner
Sharon Harnist
Theresa Momber
Tina Gilliland
Vicki Dutcher


To begin the plaid background, I stamped one of the Perfect Plaid images three times with Memento Paris Dusk ink. I wasn't very careful about linking up the images and sure enough, I didn't get them lined up, so just pretend you don't see that. 
Next, I used another grid pattern, this one with thick lines, and stamped it using Memento Summer Sky. It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but if you click on it to see it larger it might be a little easier to tell where I stamped.

Next I used one of the thicker lines and stamped horizontally and vertically using Memento Bahama Blue ink. I wanted a lighter color, so I stamped off on scratch paper after inking each time.

Next, I used a thin line and stamped with Memento Danube Blue. I stamped this one right over the places where the images weren't lining up perfectly and it did a pretty good job hiding my mistake. In the end, I was glad I hadn't gotten them lined up because I found it so quick and easy to work with this set and the layering works so beautifully to hide any errors creative adjustments. After stamping, I trimmed the card stock to 3 ¼ by 4 ½ inches. 

Next, I stamped the snowman, from Snowone Like You, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I began shading the snowman using BV00 Copic marker.

Then blended into the white, using BV000.

For the hat scarf and mittens, I began with BG02.

Then blended into the white with BG10.

I used YR07 on the nose and E25 on the arms.

I used a Spellbinders™Circle Nestabilities® die template to cut Pure Luxury White card stock and sponged Memento Summer Sky ink.

Then I stamped the sentiment on the circle, using Memento Nautical Blue and stamped some snowflakes with Summer Sky. I cut out the snowman and added glitter to his hat, then adhered him with Pop Dots. I layered with Pure Luxury Blue Denim and White. The card base is Pure Luxury Powder Blue (4 ¼ by 5 ½ inches). Then I added a few buttons to the corner to embellish. 

Thanks for dropping by. I hope your day is fabulous!


44 comments:

Judy Inukai said...

Super cute! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to make a creative adjustment when using the plaid as a background. It's a great set and it's easy to make those creative adjustments. Thanks for the great inspiration.

mtscrapgal said...

Thanks for the coloring techniques. Love those colorful snowmen.Thanks

Melanie said...

your plaid turned out super cute! love the shading on your men!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Snow cute! Love the plaid tutorial~

Cat Tidwell said...

Awesome T!! I just love your shading on your cards, its spot on!

Giovana said...

Beautiful cards T!! Love the snowmen card :)

Sharon Harnist said...

Love your sweet snowmen, T, and those pretty snowy hills you create!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say! WAIT....I DO! Super, awesome, fabulous....just to name a few! You rock!!!!

Anne Molberg said...

You make card making look so easy but its not. It takes alot of talent which you have lots of..Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

You never disappoint Theresa. Love all your creations, thanks for the wonderful inspiration!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wow! Love that plaid background. And, once again a tutorial to provide nourishment for us to do a similar style with our artwork. Thanks so much.

Nana Griffin said...

Two lovely ideas! Thanks for the tip that if our lines are out of whack what to do.

Lagene said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for the tutorial!

Marsha said...

Adorable.

Joyce T. said...

awesome cards - thanks for the tutorial!

Beastybunny said...

Great job! And thanks for the nice clear instructions!

Unknown said...

Now these are just too cute.

Kathryn A said...

Lovely cards and I so appreciate your tutorials!

Beth said...



okay I'm not typeless though....LOVE the cards - terrific!

Carolyn King said...

Theresa--that plaid background is just stunning! Wow! And I love your snowfriends card---with the little joy banner!! SWEEET!

Unknown said...

Great cards! Thanks for offering coloring tips with Copic markers... must be sure to put those on my wish list!! :)

Trisha said...

Love your sweet snowmen and the darling plaid background.

Elizabeth said...

Love the plaid background and the snowmen are all supercute.

Tkat said...

cute cute!

Sue D said...

Adorable snowmen cards--love the plaid background.

Doris W. said...

Love the blue plaid background! Love both snowman cards! Who doesn't love snowmen.

Jo4Him said...

Super cute cards; Love the 1st one! Thanks for showing your "creative adjustment"; that makes me think even I can use this set! TFS

Sharon said...

Cute cards - and fun to see blue being used. Great tutorial for the techniques.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous snowmen, and your coloring is amazing.

Pat Jandacek said...

It is SO good to know that when something doesn't line up you don't have to start all over again from scratch! Great card.

Rosy Newlun said...

Hi, Theresa -- the plaid is so cute, even more quaint if it isn't precise! I love your sponging and tutorial -- sweet snowpeople!!!

Deb said...

Gotta love creative alterations/adjustments. Make them all the time. Your plaid is great. Liking this one mire and more

Gayle said...

Adorable and thanks for the tutorial on shading the snow dude.

--Marcy said...

Always amazed at your ability to make everything love 3D - and grateful that you take the time to always share!

Unknown said...

I always leave your Blog feeling inspired--thank you!

Lori said...

Super sweet cards today T!!!

Sherry Butcher said...

TFS your cards and the step by step instructions. Like the blue plaid.

Mida Williams said...

"creative adjustments" - LOL
Two beautiful cards, as always.

Unknown said...

Great cards. Thanks for taking the time to show us how you did them, too.

marianneDOTwanhamATgmailDOTcom

Kris in Alaska said...

Love your tutorials!

Kris in Alaska
funamom at yahoo dot com

Kitty said...

Your cards are gorgeous. I always love what you make. You are so very talented.

Blessings,
Kat

Ravengirl said...

These are both really sweet! I love the snow people and the blue plaid!

Indy's Designs said...

So cute! Thanks for showing how to color a snowman! I can't wait to try it out!

PoJo said...

Love your ideas!
ptucker6 at cox dot net