Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Evening Elephant Tutorial

Hello! I snuck off to the stamp room tonight and made this card, using images from my new stamp set, Wild About You. I'm off bright and early to the Spellbinders DT retreat. So excited!

To begin, I stamped the elephant using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored with Copic markers, starting with W5.

Added W3.

Then filled in with W1.

I added more shading with N5.

Then deepened the shading again  with N7. After coloring, I cut out the elephant.

For the background, I used Pure Luxury White, cut to 5 by 3 3/4 inches and sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink.

I cut a circle, from a sticky note, using Spellbinders Circle Nestabilities, as a mask for the sun. Then I sponged more Memento Cantaloupe ink around the circle.

Sponged Memento Tangelo.

Sponged Memento Lady Bug.

Sponged Memento Potter's Clay.

I using torn sticky notes to mask the sky and sponged Memento Rich Cocoa.

Then sponged Memento Tuxedo Black.

Here is how it looked after I removed the masks.

I sponged the edges of the sun with Memento Tangelo to soften the edges a bit.

Added some wispy clouds with my YR14 Copic marker.

Stamped the tree and elephant with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I wanted the elephant stamped directly on the background because I had cut away some of the grass in the colored image.

Stamped more grass around the elephant using the smallest grass stamp.

Stamped the giraffe.

Adhered the colored elephant and added some shadows using N5.

I layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used Tan Leather for the card base (5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inches).

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great day!



11 comments:

Becky said...

wow..What an awesome card and beautiful colors.

Rae said...

What a BEAUTIFUL work of Art!!

Brenda said...

Simply stunning!!!

Laurie Fleehearty said...

WOW! Your card is just gorgeous! You have inspired me to try your background technique. Thank you!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Love it! Thank you for another wonderful tutorial. Have fun at Spellbinder's!!!

NancyD said...

Wonderful work Theresa! I really appreciate the tutorial too. I know your off to the retreat, but I was wondering if you wanted to enter your card into the Craft a Scene challenge this month? The theme is moonlight and your card qualifies. NancyD

Madeleen said...

Thank you for another amazing tutorial! My set arrived in the mail this week and I can't wait to try it out!

Janine said...

Great card. I have the MFP Africa set and love it but it is sadly one that is discontinued now so it is good that you have drawn this set.

Pitchoune said...

I love it so much,A+

Scrapacat said...

Stunning, Theresa. I just love how you know just the right color, saturation and combinations to get such realistic results. Thank you for sharing with us!
~ky

Barb Ghig said...

Hi Theresa, I am LOVING your new stamp set...WOW!!! And, of course your amazing detail when you sponge and color your images...just BEAUTIFUL! Thanks...xoxo