Monday, July 26, 2010

Tropical Fun

Hiya, stampers! I just got back from a fun weekend visiting friends on the central coast of California. We had a great time chatting, playing games and even golfing for the first time in about 10 years. I'm working on getting caught up on my emails, but I did find a little time to sneak in a card today.

I used images from Aloha to compliment this background made with Melanie's Fun Year Round background stamp. I even tucked in a few leaves from A Year of Leaves. Love how versatile that set is!

First, I stamped the large circle background stamp, from Fun Year Round, with Versa Mark ink, so my embossing powder would stick, then I heat embossed it with clear.

After embossing, I used my Jumbo Sponge Daubers and sponged with Memento Angel Pink ink.

Sponged with Memento Rose Bud ink, keeping it darker on the lower half.

Sponged with Memento Cantaloupe ink, on the lower half.

Sponged with Memento Rhubarb Stalk.

Stamped the palm tree from Aloha.


Colored the palm fronds and foliage with Copic marker YG95.

Colored the trunk with E57.

Stamped the texture image several times with Memento London Fog.

Added some shading over the sand with W1.

Darkened some of the shading, particularly under the tree, with W3.

For the hibiscus flower, I started with Y17 on the stamen.

Then I colored in the petals with YR000. I really saturated the center in anticipation of adding a super dark color that I knew would be hard to blend. I sometimes find it easier to blend darker colors if I have the paper pretty saturated ahead of time, with a lighter color, or blending solution.

Then I added my dark color, R89, to the center.

Added YR02 and went over the dark color, working in small circles to blend.

Then I added more YR000, over the last color, again working in small circles to blend.

I decided I wanted more shading around the edges of the petals, so I addend more YR02.

Added just a tiny line of R89 along the edges, then I used YR000 to blend again. As you can see I was completely careless about staying in the lines, since I planned to cut out my image anyway.

For the leaves, I started by coloring in with YG
03.

Added YG95 for shading and blended with YG03.

Used my blender pen to push in some lighter highlights.

I added the Aloha sentiment to the upper, right corner and popped up my flower and leaves with Pop Dots. I layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used a Cranberry Tart cardbase.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great day!

6 comments:

Becky said...

wow..love what you did with these circles, you are so creative..:)

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, I love your card.

Anke

Courtney said...

As always, this is just gorgeous. Your entire blog makes my fingers twitch with the urge to order a bajillion markers and stamping supplies.

Cheryl said...

This is amazing. I love the embossed circles, the palm in the distance.. . .I love it all. AMAZING !!!!!
CHeryl

Casmiles said...

Beautiful card, Theresa. The circles are WONDERFUL; you see them, yet they don't detract from the overall picture. So - how Central in Central CA? You might have been right next door and I missed you...after all, we are all about golf here (Monterey) ... needless to say, I've not played since high school, unless you count mini golf...

Melanie said...

ooooh, i really like how subtle the white embossed circles are! beautiful colors!