Monday, June 14, 2010

Favorite Summer Memory DT Challenge

Hello! This month Gina challenge the GKD design team to make a project inspired by a favorite summer memory. You can play along, too, for a chance at a guest spot on the design team!

On my card, I thought back to when my daughter was about two and loved to chase butterflies. Some of my most cherished memories are watching her a that age, when she was outdoors and had that innocent exuberance that only toddlers have. I used the butterfly images from my new set, Hope Grows to create a fanciful butterfly scene to reflect the magic those memories hold for me.

For all the specific details on how to enter your card in Gina's Design Team challenge, please visit GinaK's blog.

Then, stop by these participating GinaK Design Team member's blogs for their projects for tonight's hop:

To make the background for my card, I started by stamping the branch images, from Hope Grows, with Versa Mark and heat embossing with clear embossing powder.

Next, I sponged with Memento Cantaloupe ink.

Sponged Memento Angel Pink.

Sponged Memento Rose Bud.

Sponged Memento Tangelo.

Sponged Memento Rhubarb Stalk.

Then I stamped the branches again, this time with Tangelo, but stamped off on scratch paper first, so they wouldn't be too dark.

Next I added some dots and stars with my white gel pen.

For the butterflies, I started with Copic RV29 in the center.

Blended from there with RV25.

Then added RV21 and used my blender pen to soften the highlights.

I cut out the butterflies, minus the antennae, then stamped them on the background, so their antennae would show after adhering.

I wanted to use the Spellbinders Fancy Tag die for my sentiment, but the sentiment is a little small for that die. So I cut out the tag, from Pure Luxury Passionate Pink, then I cut it in half and trimmed away a bit from the center.

I stamped the sentiment and used Oval Nestabilities to cut it out, then backed it with a scalloped oval layer. You can see how well it looks over the fancy tag, when the two pieces are fitted back together, with a little altering.

I played around with some different angles for the flourishes and decided I liked this better for the layout of my card.

I adhered the sentiment with Pop Dots and layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and Passionate Pink. The card base is Innocent Pink.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope your day is wonderful!

20 comments:

Cat Tidwell said...

OOo this is just a stunner T! I LOVE how you have done that sentiment! Might have to use that one! ;)

Lee said...

Ohhh that is simply stunning!!! Seriously a gorgeous card....I love how the leaves just pop in the white embossing!!! And what absolutely sweet and precious memories of your sweet little girl!!!

Lorraine said...

Another gorgeous card and beautiful memory! Thank you so much for the inspiration and the tutorials.

Becky said...

This is gorgeous. Love how you did the label.

Lagene said...

Absolutely Beautiful, thanks for the tutorial!

Tammy Q Howell said...

Beautiful card. Love the tutorial! The dots and stars add a lot to the card.

NinaB said...

Your colors are amazing on your beautiful card, Theresa.

Carolyn King said...

gorgeous card Theresa! LOVE those butterflies!!!

JaniceAileen said...

Just beautiful, Theresa! Love the colors on this!

Carla S. said...

Wonderful memory, Theresa! Your card is gorgeous! I love the colors and the fanciful butterflies!

joy said...

What a beautiful card - love the little white dots - they add such dimension and character to your card!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, Theresa! LOVE those oranges and pinks together - simply perfect!!

Lori said...

Fantastic, lovely card and memory!

Melanie said...

that background is utterly magical!

asela said...

Lovely!

Colorado Crafter said...

Gorgeous background sponging and resist techniques!! I've got to try some things like this. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tutorial!!!

Missy said...

thanks so much for the step by step pictures. This is just lovely.

Gloria Westerman said...

Beautiful....I really do love it.....and what an awesome idea about the tag.....will have to remember that....thank you for sharing with .....your the greatest....

dstandard said...

WOW unbelievable! This is just totally awesome and so inspirational - going to save this to try myself!

Becky said...

This is just stunning, love the colors.